(Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

    FAFSA OPENS EARLY in October of the calendar year.

    Begin by getting a private electronic signature, called FSA ID:


    • FSA ID will get you started, and you can connect to FAFSA.
    • Parents and students need a separate FSA ID and a separate email.
    • See the Federal Student Aid Page for new deadlines and openings for the FAFSA.


    Make sure you visit FAFSA. ED. GOV web page.  

    FAFSA. ED. GOV will look similar to this:

    All student aid and scholarships begin at this application. Most post-secondary schools will not allow entrance until the FAFSA is completed. Although many families think they cannot afford college and the process is time-consuming and difficult to understand, still, the only way to apply for federal grants and aid is through this website.  If you have questions, please see your counselor in the counseling center. Additionally, Centralia High School sponsors a FAFSA evening workshop with Centralia College. Read or listen to the school bulletin for date and time, usually in early December.


    WAFSA Web page


    WASFA Privacy Statement

    The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) administers state financial aid including the Washington College Grant (formerly known as the State Need Grant), the College Bound Scholarship, and the Washington Application for State Financial Aid, or WASFA, for undocumented individuals. The Council is committed to providing opportunities and support to ensure every Washington student is able to pursue education beyond high school.

    Regarding concerns that students, parents, and other partners may have about the confidentiality of information submitted on the WASFA, the purpose of the application is to provide eligibility information to colleges and universities in Washington that offer the Washington College Grant (formerly known as the State Need Grant) and the College Bound Scholarship. WSAC shares application information with campuses listed by the student so those schools may determine eligibility for resident tuition and financial aid. Campuses are not permitted to use the information for other purposes or share the data with other parties.

    WSAC is committed to protecting the confidentiality of the information and privacy of students and families. Washington is a state committed to providing opportunities to students and protecting the rights of families.

    WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid)

    State Financial Aid for Undocumented Individuals and Other Select Applicants

    Washington State offers financial aid programs to students who cannot file, or do not wish to file, a federal FAFSA financial aid application for various reasons:

    • Immigration status/undocumented
    • Defaulted federal loans
    • Repayments owed on federal grants
    • Unable to provide selective service confirmation
    • U.S. citizen applicants with undocumented parents/family members who do not wish to file a FAFSA

    These students still need to meet other program requirements. 

    To find out if you qualify, complete the free WASFA to apply for state financial aid.



    Need personal and family help with FAFSA or WASFA?  Your counselor can also help with this process. Send them an email and set an appointment to get help.

    FAFSA Link: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

    FAFSA YouTube Video Tutorials:



    Order other videos to help you on this website:




    Or: Follow on Twitter: @FAFSA

Last Modified on December 5, 2022