Centralia School District Mission:
We will ensure each student learns the essential skills necessary to be a responsible productive citizen and life-long learner through effective performance-based schools which recognize and encourage each individual within a safe environment.
Centralia School District Beliefs:
Centralia School District Goals, Strategies, and Action Plans:
Centralia School District Instructional Goals for the 2009-10 School Year:
- Centralia School District will increase by at least 5% each year the percentage of students meeting state standards in math in 3rd-8th and 10th grades.
- Centralia School District will increase by at least 5% each year the percentage of students meeting state standards in science at 5th, 8th and 10th grades.
- Centralia School District student subgroups will meet or exceed state subgroup performance in science, reading, writing, and math each year.
Strategies and Action Plans for the 2009-10 School Year:
Approved by the Board of Directors, Novmeber 18, 2009
The strategies and action plans for achieving the district's instructional goals are specific to each school site. As the fundamental unit of change, each school determines, using its specific data and context, those strategies and actions most necessary to achieving goals. See attached action plans from school sites.
Strategies Across Centralia's Schools:
- Professional Learning Communities
- Curriculum Aligned to State Standards
- Common Assessments
- Improvement of Building Culture/Climate
- Integration of Technology for Effective Teaching and Learning
Four Critical Questions of a Professional Learning Community:
- What knowledge and skills should every student acquire as a result of this unit of instruction?
- How will we know when each student has acquired the essential knowledge and skill?
- How will we respond when some students do not learn?
- How will we respond when some students have clearly achieved the intended outcomes?
Curriculum Aligned to State Standards:
Teams of teachers working collaboratively to:
- produce units of instruction that guarantee that materials students will be held accountable for on state assessments are actually covered in the curriculum
- produce common assessments that provide grade-level information regarding student proficiency
- focus on Mathematics SY 2009-2010
- Provide data to teams of teachers regarding the needs of their students
- Used to determine interventions for students who are not learning
- Results allow for team planning and response
Improving School Culture/Climate
- Students learn best in a safe and inclusive environment
- Positive relationships between students and teachers improve student learning
- Adults need a trusting environment in which to do their best work.
Integrating Technology for Effective Teaching and Learning
- Preparing students for the success in the 21st Century requires proficiency in current technologies
- Teachers integrate technology in lessons for students
- Technology can help students achieve